Join the SUVCW

Join the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

Junior Associate

The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War has four forms of membership within the organization. All four are permitted within the Department of Kansas and by all camps in the Department. They are:

  1. Member – Membership in the SUVCW is open to all male descendants, whether through lineal or collateral line, not less than fourteen (14) years of age, who are blood relatives of Soldiers, Sailors, Marines or members of the Revenue Cutter Service, who were regularly mustered and served honorably in, or who were honorably discharged from the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Revenue Cutter Service of the United States of America, during the War of the Rebellion between April 12, 1861 and April 9, 1865; and who have never been convicted of any infamous or heinous crime; or who have never voluntarily borne arms against the Government of the United States of America.
  2. Associate – Men who do not have the ancestry to qualify for hereditary membership, but who demonstrate a genuine interest in the Civil War and who can subscribe to the purpose and objects of the SUVCW may become Associates. An Associate may vote and hold any office at the camp and department level. Associates are limited to which offices they may hold at the National level. Associates may not exceed one-third of the total membership of the Camp at the time of election.
  3. Junior – Males at least 6 years of age and less than 14 years of age. Juniors have lineage (see Members). When a Junior turns 14 years of age, he becomes a Member.
  4. Junior Associate – Males at least 6 years of age and less than 14 years of age. Juniors Associates do not have lineage (see Associates). When a Junior Associate turns 14 years of age, he becomes an Associate.

If you know which camp you are interested in joining, or are wanting to see camps which are located in the Department of Kansas, visit our Camps page and click on “contact the camp about joining” to receive additional information.

If you are located in an area where there is not a camp, you can still join the SUVCW in the Department of Kansas. If you do not have a preference as to which camp you want to belong, you will automatically be assigned to the camp closest to you.

To download a membership application, click on one of the following links:

*Fill in this form on your computer, and print the completed form.
You will need Adobe Reader to use these forms.